I hope you all agree that decorating the new home is more enjoyable than installing security measures. But as we all know that home security has to be a top priority. In this article, I have mentioned some top ways to secure your home wisely and by staying within budget.
Top ways to secure your home
Some of the common easy ways to secure your home are as follows:
- Securing the gate and doors
- Locking up the windows
- Lighting the home landscape
- Setting up a security system
- Locking the Wi-Fi network
- Installation of security cameras
- Usage of home automation
Way # 1- Securing the gate and doors
Allowing a burglar to enter through the front door is not a good idea. Monitor all of the exterior doors. Ensure that the door frames are durable and the hinges are safe. If the door contains a mail slot, then inspect that no one can reach through by opening it. Adjust the door locks if you’re moving into a house that was previously in use by someone else. You can’t have to worry about strangers having a key to the home, and you can also ensure that your locks are the safest and strongest on the market. So here are a few fast reinforcements that I suggest for securing these critical doorways.
- Place a deadbolt on the door.
- Insert a strike plate into the mix.
- Update the locks to smart locks.
- Add a video doorbell; by this, you can increase your defense.
- Replace the door with sliding glass doors.
- Add a glass break or door break sensor. By installing these sensors, you can alert anyone if anyone tampers the glass or tries to enter the home.
Way # 2- Locking up the windows
Robbers more often enter by doors and windows. But unfortunately, the manufacturer window latches are not always reliable, and they can be extremely flimsy at times. So if, in any case, you don’t like the style of your window latches, add locks or key-operated levers to improve protection. I have a few more suggestions for making the windows burglar-proof.
- Use window security film to strengthen the glass.
- As I mentioned in the above section, Install the Window or glass break sensors.
- Place the Window bars.
- Plant some Prickly bushes beneath first-floor walls and always ensure to trim them timely.
Way # 3- Lighting the home landscape
Criminals such as looters and thieves dislike being in the spotlight. With plenty of outdoor lights, you can keep the bad guys at bay. You can put several lights in the front and back yards, across sidewalks, along with garages and other outdoor structures. By doing this, you can not only leave intruders nervous, but you can also reduce the chances of stumbling on the way up the front stairs. I suggest some tips for lighting. With all these tips, you can make your outdoor security lights even more powerful.
- Utilize lights that activate by motion.
- Use Solar-powered lamps because they help you to save money on electricity.
- Set the timer for the outside lighting.
Way # 4- Setting up a security system
If it’s a simple DIY system or one with expert surveillance and home automation, your new home must have some security system. There are many home security technologies available today in the market for any budget and level of safety. Assess the needs of the area and the home to find a device that you are very much confident with. You can also get street crime reports and support with a home security assessment from the local police department. Kindly keep these following aspects in mind as well:
- Professional installation vs do-it-yourself installation.
- Customer care and support.
- Brand’s image.
- Capacities and capabilities of smart homes.
- Costs upfront, weekly and monthly.
- Smoke and carbon monoxide tracking are among the optional features.
Way # 5- Locking the Wi-Fi network
The personal and financial information of any person is easily accessible via the home wireless network. Home automation, on the other hand, can make your home resistant to break-ins. Criminals may receive direct access to your home if your Wi-Fi network is linked to smart home devices or your security system. However, you do not have to expose yourself to risk. Use my suggested hacker-proofing recommendations to keep hackers out of your home network.
- Protect your wireless router with a password.
- WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access) or WPA2 encryption must be enabled.
- Your home network has to be renamed and hidden.
- Make use of a firewall.
- Install antivirus and anti-malware software.
- Make sure your passwords are secure.
Way # 6- Installation of security cameras
Most of you also see reports of burglars getting caught on camera and arrested. It is one home defense option that serves as a barrier and a way of solving crimes. You may purchase security cameras as part of a full home security system or choose stand-alone cameras. I consider using a security camera or a smartphone app, which allows users to view the video in real-time and save it if they decide to go to the police. Take a look at some of the other important features to secure your home by cameras:
- Night vision
- Motion tracking.
- Wi-Fi connectivity.
- Local or cloud storage for two-way communication.
Way # 7- Usage of home automation
If you are already thinking of making your regular home into a smart home, the convincing reasons to do so is protection and security. You can operate lighting, door locks, security cameras, smoke detectors, and other safety equipment remotely with home automation. You can receive timely alerts and notifications about suspicious activities. This helps you to react rapidly and foil criminals. These are some of my ideal ways to secure your home with home automation.
- When you go on holiday, always schedule the lights to turn on and off.
- Use a smart doorbell to scare away porch pirates with two-way communication.
- When anyone comes up your driveway, you’ll get an automatic video feed.
This is not difficult to figure out how to secure your home. For starting, use these ways. And don’t worry, you don’t have to complete everything at once. Determine which ways are most valuable to you, then make a timetable to implement the remaining ways. The easiest way to keep your home and loved ones secure is to be mindful of potential security threats and take precautions as soon as possible. If you have a house of dreams around you that you want to purchase and need mortgage options, contact Aceland Mortgage for expert opinion and guidance.